Thursday, May 22, 2008

Yosemite x 2

It was up in the air for a bit, but we went to Yosemite again, and it was awesome. I loved being there again. It was different this time, because I wasn't the TL (trip leader ... not that I really was, but it's funny to call it that) so it was nice to have someone else make the decision and decide what to do.

There was a group of 10 of us and it was cool being there with that group of friends. We did a 15 pitch route called Royal Arches. I had a problem with some of my pictures, so I'll hopefully get more from other people, but here's Cody and Beth just about to head down the first rappel. It took about 7 raps to get down and here I am about half way down. There was a sweet waterfall in the background. It was a good, but long day because we had to wait for some other slow parties in front of us, but it was so good to be up off the Valley floor all day.

The next day, we took a rest day, and went to this huge swing at the base of El Cap. It was so fun. There's two fixed lines, one shorter than the other, and it wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it was going to be. You have to run and the ground drops out from under you and you just swing out and it's pretty much like slow motion after that. It was really cool. The bigger one was even better. The best way to show you is a couple videos



Here's me doing it, but my friend, Garrett, figured the best way and here's him:

It was a really good time until he tried to get a little crazy, and tripped and cut his head open. It scared us all pretty bad, and it sucked, but to be honest, it was kinda cool for me, because I got to clean it out and check it out and give the diagnosis that he needed to go to the hospital. I watched as they gave him 11 staples. It put a damper on the rest of his trip, but more because he kinda twisted his ankle too, and crack climbing is hard on healthy ankles.

So, after that fiasco, we hung in camp that night and the next day did a 3 pitch climb called Commitment. It was really fun. Here's the view from the top. It was a great trip and to top it all off I met a really cool guy, Johnny from New Zealand that'll give me a place to stay when I go there (notice I said when, not if. From everything I've heard that is the place to be). We drove home through Sacramento again and stayed with Tony's sister. Too short of a visit to see anyone of my friends, but it was a great last trip of my spring.



3 comments:

The Bjurstrom Family said...

You are one crazy gal!!! Next time you come through sac, we'd love to see you:)

suzi said...

Dude you are nuts! I love it. Your life is full of adventures! Actually, things were pretty adventurous around here today... I changed a diaper on my bed with no blanket under it and no wipes handy... how's that for crazy?! haha
We need to hang out when you are here and aren't working sis. I might have to initiate the first ever "summer time friends party" just to cut the time in half that I wait to see all of our friends! Not just Christmas anymore!! Talk to you soon!

Anne said...

Those 2 guys in the picture at the top of commitment are HOT! I hope you've hooked up with one of them.