Well, hello everyone! No, I haven't fallen into the river in my sleep and gone on downstream (which by the way, if you don't know me too well, is a pretty good possibility). I am still alive and done with the summer, and about to resume life as I knew it and be able to come back into blogosphere; at least a little more anyway.
The summer has been a really good one. I did 10 trips in Grand Canyon and I am pretty ready to be done. My mom was able to come on the second to last one with me and my dad was able to come on the last one and I was so stoked to have them see what I do and be able to see the canyon. I don't think they do it too bad, but I think it's hard not to think that a summer on the river is a relaxing, all fun summer job, which, in fact it is, but it's also pretty hard work and sometimes not the most engaging groups of people are a little hard to spend a week at a time with. My mom was able to come on Cat with me a few times, but my dad hasn't been able to and this time I was able to give him some notice so he could plan for it and it was great to have him there. I've been able to drive a lot and it's been really fun. I've done pretty well except for one rapid that is my nemesis, Grapevine, but it's all been really fun to drive. Here's a bunch of pics in no particular order from all during the summer.
This is from the red wall cavern. A stitched together panorama. One of the passengers sent this to me.
This is one of my favorite pics of the summer. It's at the place in the canyon called Granite Narrows, it's the narrowest place in the canyon, it's 76 feet wide.
My friend Garrett and my brother, Eric and I went to the Great Salt Lake, out to Antelope Island on a break a little while ago. It was really cool. I hadn't been swimming in the lake for like 16 years and it is amazing. I was more buoyant than when I swim with my life jacket on. If any of you haven't been in a while, you should go for sure. Garrett took a bunch of really cool pictures and this one is my favorite.
It was great having my mom come on the trip. Everyone loved her.
This is at Havasu and I love how dramatic my mom is plugging her nose for that huge 5 foot jump. But this next one is my favorite two pictures of her from the trip

We had a lot of wild life on the trip. That's a ring tail cat that we usually leave out the dessert for so that hopefully we'll see them. They're just so cute!
I got a black light and scorpions show up so great under that light and at one camp, my mom's little nook of trees had 5 scorpions just around her! It was crazy. There was like 25 at that camp..
Here I am blabbin away about the geology of the canyon.
This is from the Lava Chuar camp on night 2. It's one of my favorite camps.
5 comments:
Grace! I love these pics of you... and the canyon... and your summer of 'relaxing' ;-)
So excited to have you back in the SL to the C, though!!
What a great summer, Gracie. those shots of your parents are classic.
Another great bunch of pictures! We'll be glad to have you back!
I had a nightmare about scorpions last night. Thanks a lot.
Loved the pictures! I was laughing at the picture of your mom jumping off the cliff. I remember how she is when her feet are not on the ground. (Ski jumps, and trampolines!) Can you imagine my mom doing that? She would die for sure. I miss you and hope we will have an all night catch up session this winter at the cabin. Love ya!!!
Post a Comment