Friday, November 13, 2009

New Home!!! .... well, maybe

AGHHH!! I'm sooo frustrated! So, last winter I looked around for houses forever but it turned out that I couldn't get approved for a loan so I wasn't able to get one then. So the middle of the summer, when I had cash burning a hole in my pocket I started planning all these great trips to exotic places around the world, and thinking of moving to places such as Steamboat, Boston or Montana. Then as I starting feeling the pangs of responsibility and my forth decade breathing down the neck and decided to start thinking about looking for a house again. This time I got pre-approved first then I started looking for houses. I was in a little bit of a rush to get it all going because the offer of the Obama-bucks. If I close before Nov. 30 then I get $8000! However, I look really bad on paper. Since most of the money that I make during the summer is in tips that I don't report, I needed to have my dad co-sign with me and it took us forever to get our stuff together. So we looked at a bunch of houses and I found one in exactly the area that I want. It's just a few blocks away from where I lives last winter. It's right across the street and down a few houses from Liberty Park. It's red brick and has a big tree in front and back.


I walked in and instantly loved it. It's totally a grandma house. Every inch is covered in terrible wallpaper and even the bathroom has bad carpet in it. But it has tons of potential. It's got two rooms on the main floor and a mother-in-law in the basement with just one room that I'm going to make bigger by moving a wall (that'll be no problem right? Just move a wall?). I have been sooo frustrated though, because I got a job but I don't start until Nov. 23. (which is good news by itself! IMC wouldn't take me back if I'm thinking about going back to the river, which who really knows what I'm going to do, but I didn't want to not tell them, so I'll be working at St. Mark's as a surg tech, which is what I was doing last year, and I'll be making more than I did and I'll miss IMC, but I'll be stoked to go to a new place and check it out.) I've been climbing a lot and enjoying having time off, but it's driving me crazy, because there's so much to be done on the house and I'm just WAITING for the loan to go through. My parents have forbidden me to buy anything for the house, which is a good idea, but I just wake up earlier than I would usually thinking of color options and flooring, and making lists of what I need to do for the house. But there's been some ish with the loan. During the summer when I was making money I looked good, but now when I don't have a job, and my dad hasn't been working much since his surgery (which you'll read about if you keep reading) so we don't look that great all of the sudden, and my mortgage guy has been working to try to find different options and I had to get a statement from St. Mark's stating how much I'll be making and working and hopefully I'll be able to just get the mortgage myself, but I am freaking out! I'm so sick of waiting! My closing date should be the 17th and I'm really hoping it'll all happen in the next couple of days! I want to get in there so bad! That being said, there's still like 10% of me that wouldn't be too devastated if I couldn't get it and I'll just forget all this responsibility and go to Thailand! But keep your fingers crossed!

1 comment:

Anne said...

Yeah, buying and selling real estate is the BIGGEST headache. I mean, really, can't they give a guy a break because he got cancer and had to take some time off. We're not robots! I hope it goes through for you.
Also, that's great about your new job. Good luck at St Marks.