Tuesday, September 28, 2010

...I hate waiting!

Update on my physical status:

Doing much better than the last post. My head is healing nicely, still some scabs hanging on ( I have no idea how after 7 weeks they're still there, especially with my lack of will power not to pick them but they're still there). The scar is looking pretty good and I've gotten used to the comb-over from the left, and had my hair cut so it looks like it's supposed to go that way. My butt looks much better and my muscles were still giving me some problems but they're also doing much better. My ankle, well that's a different story that will come later.

Update on my mental status:


Kinda getting a little stir crazy not really being able to do anything. I did miss one river trip, but did get to go on my last one. My brother, Eric came and I really couldn't have done it without him.



He was really great at not letting me carry heavy, awkward things and I was really glad he came to be my muscles and also just that he got to explore the Canyon.
 


It was a really pretty trip and great weather. I didn't get to do a lot of the hikes but Eric would go on big long runs on some nights. I was really glad that he came. We had to spend an extra day in the Canyon and wait for a trip a day behind us to derig and Eric spent like 6 hours working on this cool sculpture thing, it was cool.


So, since then I've just been working on trying hard not to push it too much and I've been planning a big trip this fall. I've been planning this for a while and the last couple weeks and I've found and bought all my airfare for a great trip! 

I'm going to DC for a couple days, then to LONDON and I'll spend a few days with some people that have come on river trips. Then I'll have two weeks to go around Europe. I've got another hook up from the river in PARIS and I'm not quite sure where else I'll go on my way to AMSTERDAM to fly to KENYA. My aunt and uncle have a program called Kenya Keys that they started and I'll be spending three weeks there with my uncle and two other girls in the bush. Then I'll go to THAILAND for a month and be home by Christmas. I'm getting so psyched and I've got appointments for immunizations and I'm getting my packing list ready. Then ...

Last week I actually figured I could go biking. I rode down to the Farmer's Market last week and I've ridden up Emigration Canyon several times and it feels really good to be moving my body! I rode out to the mouth of the canyon the other day and I finally felt like I was starting to feel like myself again. My body felt fine while I was riding but clipping out of my pedals was a different story. I'd have to use my hand or just take my shoe off then take it off. That's fine, right? My friend, Angela that is finishing her residency in ER med, came biking with me and she kept encouraging me to get it looked at again and told me what could happen if it was broken and I didn't get it fixed, so I caved and made an appointment and guess what .... I've got a freakin broken ankle!  

My talus bone is fractured and I had a CT today and tomorrow he's going to read it and determine the next few months of my life. Either I've got to have surgery and that will make me stay home for sure or I'll have to wear a boot for who know how long and I'll maybe go depending on how easy it is to walk in ... who knows! Tomorrow, tomorrow, that'll determine the rest of my life!! Well, OK, that may be a little dramatic, but that's what it feels like. I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Stacie said...

Oh my gosh Grace! that is crazy. I'll be thinking of you and praying that you get good news. You HAVE to go on that trip. I'll cry myself to sleep if you don't. Seriously! What a dream trip.

Kristina said...

i was JUST going to call and see what you found out today at the dr.'s and then i logged on and saw this, so i guess no news yet...