Saturday, October 09, 2010

The other side of the knife

When I had my ACL surgery I was awake for just a minute when I was in the OR and I remember thinking it was so cool in there. Then when I started working in the OR I was stoked to see an ACL surgery and see how it worked. I've done mostly orthopedic surgeries and I love doing those. I like it because it's like a construction room. It's funny though how I sometimes feel like once we finish the surgery it's like, OK, they're better. As a tech I never have to see any of the recovery and I don't realize that nope, they're not fixed.
But I'm learning nore and more about it. So, that's the answer ...

Yes I had to have surgery.

 Turns out my Talus bone was broken and it was in about 5 different pieces. 


 I went in to see Dr. Drew VanBoerum and had an X-ray on a Mon, went in for a CT on Tues,



went back in on Wed and he'd looked at the CTs and decided that I did need surgery and his assistant came in and said how about tomorrow? I had to cancel / reschedule my end of the season river party up at my cabin but decided it's better now than in a week. So, the next morning my mom took me in and I was the first one. I knew the anesthesiologist, and Drew's PA and it was cool going in there knowing exactly what I he was going to do. I asked the nurse to take some pictures and she only took one. Lame! I wanted a whole play by play, but this is the best she got. Still looks pretty cool though. You can see the plate and the screws.
So, here I am, 10 days after surgery, getting really antsy. For the first few days I was pretty drugged up on Oxycodone so I didn't mind just hanging in bed and drifting in and out of sleeping, but that didn't do that great for my "system". So,  I've been cutting back and my leg feels better if it's elevated but I am just starting to get out. I've been getting out and about a little more now and my armpits are killing from the crutches and I can't be up for too long, but it's feeling much better. I have to be no weight bearing for 6 more weeks! But it'll be better in the long run and it'll work almost as good as new. I'm hoping anyway, but it'll be better than it would have been if I'd just gone on my trip, so I'm really glad Angela was persistent and got me to go see Drew. Anyway, if anyone wants to come watch a movie or go to one, I'm in! 

4 comments:

A McK said...

Who's this Angela chick?? She should get shot for ruining your life!! :) I hope you're healing up quick!

suzi said...

Yikes! I'm glad you got it done. Keep getting better!

Jefe said...

heal up quick grace!

Anonymous said...

I've noticed that you're prone to injury!