Thursday, February 26, 2009

President's Day



President's Day ... what an interesting holiday. Maybe I should use this weekend to research past presidents and get to know them better. I am reading a book about Teddy Rosevelt and his adventure though the Amazon, and exploring a river down there.
Regardless of the reason for the weekend, it is always nice to have a good long weekend. It makes me a little claustrophobic to know my schedule at the hospital for so long in advance. We usually know 6 weeks in a advance and I have been able to work it that I had 5 days off in a row and I really wanted to get out of Salt Lake and get down to the sun. So, it was a little bit of a fiasco trying to make it happen ... plans changing, possibly going to Winter Park CO, probably going to St. George, and a big group coming, then with the weather looking a little iffy, everyone bailed and tons of plans changed, and it ended up that Stacie and I went down and we weren't really sure where we were going to stay. She had been on a date with this guy who offered a place, and luckily we took him up on it. It was three guys, JJ, Darrin and Caleb who were staying in one of their neighbor's houses. Those kind of weekends can be a total disaster or totally awesome and fortunately it was great.
Zion is so beautiful!! We came down late Friday night and Sat we drove part way to Zion then did a road bike ride the rest of the way in to Zion. Luckily the weather men were pretty much wrng as far as their prediction of the weekend weather and it was beautiful. We actually did drive through a bit of a blizzard on the way down there, but I've never been to Zion in the winter and it was so cool to see snow all over the red rock. It's so amazing! It turned out to be a 20 mile ride and it was a little cold and windy on the way in and we were pretty ready to get back to the house. We met back up with the guys who had gone mtn bike riding and had an incident with a cactus, and went to fulfill my last blog about tennis. It was really fun. I haven't played in so long and it was really fun. I felt like I was getting a little better by the end but still have a ways to go until it's fun for someone else to play me, and I'm ready to meet Nadal. I probably would have played better if I had a sweet skirt on or cat outfit like Venus wore a couple years ago.


We did some more hiking in Zion, some movie watching and Stacie and I had a romantic Valentine's date to see He's Just Not That Into You. (Which I highly recommend. It's pretty sad how girls are, and I don't think I'm too bad at being a total stalker, but I always make excuses for boys, and justify them not calling me back or treating me that well, and it's pretty funny ... the movie was really good .... so go see it)
Stacie and I have similar traveling styles.
We both want to play real hard during the day and get ourselves all worn out then hang and watch movie and take naps and relax. It was a really great trip. Thanks to Caleb, JJ and Darin for letting us stay with them and for the old Presidents who give us an excuse to get a Monday off, oops, I mean who did great things for our country....

4 comments:

Anne said...

I must say, Gracie, you are looking mighty fine. Glad you had fun.

Bergeson Family said...

Looks like a great weekend! I don't think you went "south" enough...it still looks too cold! :)

Orme Family said...

Those were some awesome pictures. So pretty. You know that you always have a place to stay with me if you ever need a get away vacation. Come see a totally different part of our country. I look forward to when we can catch up again. Love ya...as always!

Lindsey Shaun Christensen said...

grave you are beeeutiful . . . seriously you look great! I wish I was in that picture with all of you! I just went and rode for the first time today . . . IT WAS FABULOUS! Peace out my sista.