Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Burnt Toast

I took a test in high school to determine what my footprint was on this Earth. I was sadly shocked that it would take something like 4 1/2 earths to sustain my kind of living if everyone was living the same way. Since then I have been kind of obsessed with some of the little stuff (and I know there's really a lot more of the big stuff I could be doing, but I feel alright about my contribution). Like any of you who have spent any amount of time with me know, I am a bit of a freak about water. Running water that is not being used, kinda gives me a bit of a heart attack and I'm pretty sure it raises my blood pressure. Today at work, in the bathroom, this lady I didn't know was in brushing her teeth and she just let the water run. I really don't like to be "that person" that tells people, "um, you really shouldn't do that" so I just had to leave and finish putting my hat on by my locker so I didn't freak out. All my family knows that you don't need to have the water running full blast to do dishes, and other such chores, and at my house, and my parent's, we practice "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down" (FYI in the old toilets which are in most of our homes, it takes 6 gallons of water every time you flush!! Some of the new ones are a little better and they are only 1.6 gallons, but really, is it that bad to see a little pee in the toilet?)

This isn't my point though ... my point is driving my car. My brother Eric doesn't have a car and he rides his bike almost everywhere. I really wish I could do this, but especially in the winter it's really hard to motivate to not drive. I do however take trax to work almost every day. On the days that I do have to drive becasue of having to go somewhere after or working until 11 (the last trax is at 10:58 and there's never a guarantee I'll get out of there on time) I really feel guilty. I feel like I am failing my planet and ruining the environment. This is also my justification for hitch-hiking up Little Cottonwood Canyon. (That and my poor Fiona doesn't really love that drive)

OK, that wasn't my real point, the real point of this whole soap box is that yesterday was (and probably the rest of the week will be) a "red burn" day aka don't drive, don't smoke, don't light fires unless you have to, and the easy one, try not to breath when you go outside. So, when I got off the University train for the Sandy one at 6:15 am when all the smog has really settled into the valley, I stepped off and I swear the air tasted like a mixture of burnt toast and bovie smoke (this maybe be a little graphic, so if you don't want to know, just skip the explanation) which is the cauderizer the doctors use to burn the skin when they cut it, and let me tell you, it stinks. You think burning hair is bad, you should smell the bovie! But the inversion really smelled that bad! It was discusting! Then on the way home from work, I got off at 21st South and walked 5 or 6 blocks to Costco, and back, and I started coughing on my way back and my lungs were a bit burny the rest of the day. So, was it worth it to not drive my car, but ruin my lungs? I say YES! YES! to the greater good and doing my part to prevent further "red burn" days. And I will continue to take trax as much and as often as I can. And maybe just maybe, this might happen while I'm on the train someday!

Ok, I'll get off my platform now, thanks for listening! Save water! Don't drive!

2 comments:

Anne said...

Oh, Grace, I hope with all my heart that your train will get hi-jack-soned. That was awesome. And, don't worry, your water-freakishness has rubbed off on me, and I am a lot more careful than I used to be. Way to make a difference!

suzi said...

Grace! How are you? Thanks to Anne's blog, I found you! I have smelled the bovie when I worked for a skin cancer specialist... mmmmmmmmm, yucky! I'm glad I went blog surfing today and found you! I'm excited to keep reading posts!