Monday, March 24, 2008

Westwater

I love the river! And so much more when I'm doing it with my friends instead of peeps. Thanks to Camille and Mark who put the trip together, a group of 6 of us did Westwater and it was so great. I was pretty nervous it was going to be super cold, but it turned out to be great. We left Thurs night and got to the put in pretty late. It was so good to sleep next to the river agin. However, it was a little colder than the last time I did it, and we woke up with frost on our bags. It was a rude awakening to move my pillow around and lay my face on ice. (And I had some great morning hair after sleeping in a beanie!) It was so nice to take our time getting to boats ready and to just hang and make breakfast, and take off whenever we were ready. I got to row Mark's Cataraft and it was so fun. I'd never rowed and/or ever been on one before so I was stoked for a chance to row it. He and Garrett kayaked, so he was happy to have someone row his stuff down the river. Anne Spencer and I were on one boat, Camille and Dez on another, and the dudes in their kayaks. (FYI Anne is a great photographer and just did her final project down at BYU and it was called women of rock and ice. Check them and here other photos out here. She and Garrett are to be credited for all the fabulous photos you will see on this blog)
Westwater is beautiful and I love the vishnu shist. It's such a great canyon. The water was lower than I've ever seen it, but it was great because the rapids were all about the same size and they were all fun. And I got to see razor rock in Skull,
which I've always heard about, but never seen. We all had good runs through the canyon and it was cool watching Mark and Garrett kayak, although I have no idea how they didn't die of brain freezes the whole time.

After the canyon it was so nice to pull into camp and just hang out. We all got our bags out and laid on the warm rock and enjoyed the sun. Then when it was time to set up camp everything just got done. We for sure had the A team and it was great. Dinner got cooked and enjoyed and cleaned up, and the fire got started. We did a massage lesson around the fire, so everyone could work on each other rather than having me work on everyone. Garrett just scamerped around taking great pictures.





This one is light from the fire

And this is lit just from the full moon. Sweet pics Garrett!



The next morning, we woke up with the sun, made some breakfast, Dez lead us in some yoga and we took our time getting on the river. It felt great to be rowing again, and great to be hanging in the sun. I rolled a couple times in the kayak, and was glad I didn't paddle the canyon. My head wouldn've frozen.


We climbed in Moab that afternoon, stayed in the trailers, and had a great drive home. I love weekend trips and Westwater was so fun. It was the first overnight private trip I've been on and it's all thanks to Camille for putting it together and Mark for having all the gear, so thanks friends for a great weekend!

No comments: