Monday, December 01, 2008

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand


I've also been meaning to write this blog since I got home from Guatemala because I finished this book down there. It's by Ayn Rand and it is fabulous. It's quite a feat in that it is over 1000 pages. Garrett had started reading it before we left and was half way through it so we tore my paper back copy in half so we could both be reading it and didn't have to take up room.

It's a great book to read on a trip when you've got a 4 hour bus ride to read on. It's quite hefty in content as well as pages and I love having lots of time to read it. I read one of her other books, The Fountainhead last summer and they really changed my view on a lot of things. I don't want to bore you with a book report, but let's just say that I think Capitalism is the bomb. I don't think that in this day and this world we could ever really live it in the way that Hank Rearden and Dagny Taggart live it so that society as a whole succeeds by the means of everyone being "selfish" and trying to do their best for themselves. In the book, she for sure talks in extremes and everything is so black and white and I don't think we could ever be that solid in one way or the other, but seriously, if it could work the way Ayn describes, our world would be amazing!! That's all I have to say about it for now, but if anyone is looking for a good, long, substantial read, Atlas Shrugged is the way to go.
PS And in total contrast to that, I gave in and am now reading .... that's right, you guessed it, Twilight. It's like reading Green Eggs and Ham after reading a college law book (not that I've ever read one of those, Annie just left hers in the car on time and upon looking through it I realized that law is a totally different language and I was happy to leave it to her!) in comparison, but it sure is easy and fast reading!

1 comment:

T.R. said...

(ahem) Um, anyone want to run Grace through where capitalism got us these last few months?

;)