Monday, December 01, 2008

ST. GEORGE!!

I've been so lame about posting lately and I've had several that I've wanted to posted so this one and the next few are new, so I'm packing it all in and shortening everything.

Thanksgiving is a weird holiday to me ... spend all day, if not multiple days cooking, then sometimes pack it all up then just eat it and an hour later, you're STUFFED and there's tons of left-overs for days. Oh, wait, I guess that's exactly what it's all about. And I guess the whole "what are you thankful for" talks. Even though we all dread them, they actually can be really cool. My brother Coulson had just gotten home from India and it was really interesting hearing from him, and everyone else. I'm lucky to have a great family that is pretty close in proximity and relations.
Like last year, I ditched out a little early and went to St. George with some friends for the weekend and it was great. I love the desert, especially when It's not warm here and it is there.
I think I've mentioned it before that I think my brothers conditioned me for being a river guide and I think more so for trips like this one. It ended up being 5 boys and me. They're all friends I've guided with and known for years and it's so much fun. They treat me like they're my brothers, wrestling me and picking on me and it's kind of discusting how comfortable they are around me. But, it was really a great weekend. They're so much fun to be with. I didn't really take many pictures becuase others were taking some, but here's one from the day that Mark, Garrett and I went to this really cool place called the Underworld. It's just outside of St. George.

The first day we went climbing in Snow Canyon and it was pretty cool. It had been raining the last couple days but was dry. Tony and I did the first pitch of a 4 pitch route and then started on the 2nd pitch when Tyce and Mark South followed us up. Mark was pulling hard on this undercling and it broke off and he sprained his ankle pretty bad and was out of comission for the rest of the trip which was bummer. We all felt pretty bad for him and decided to abort the plans for the last two pitches.

Then the last day we all went to Zion and that place is amazing!! It really is so beautiful. We only did a couple routes, but having not climbed too much the last while, my body was tired after only a few days worth. But I was pretty stoked because I was climbing pretty well, and I onsighted (that's when you lead-climb something without falling on your first try) a 5.10a sport route (the bolts are already there) and then in Zion I onsighted another .10 trad route. (trad is when you have to put all the gear in the crack like I'm doing here) I've never done that on trad before so I was pretty stoked. I love climbing cracks! It's brutal on your body and scrubbing in today at work killed my poor hands with all their little cuts, but it's totally worth it. I love being sore and tired from working my body. Anyway, It was a great Thanksgiving! Weekend adventures are so great and totally worth it!

(This pictures is thanks to Garrett who climbed it first to shoot from the top. Thanks Garrett! He's a great motivator and doesn't let me slack off and woos out. And giving me that extra "kodak courage" helps a little too :)

4 comments:

Anne said...

Besides being mad that you didn't come say hi to me, I'm glad you had a good trip. I went to Zions for Thanksgiving dinner. It was awesome. It sounds like your time away from climbing has only helped you improve. Call me next time you're in the STG.

Jennie Fife said...

We were in St. George too. I was disappointed in the weather, I wanted more sun and less rain. On Friday we went to Valley of Fire. We did a little rock climbing too but considering Dashiel is 3 and Myles has only been walking for 2 months it wasn't anything nearly as exciting as your climbs. The boys really liked it and I love exposing them to the outdoors and nature.

Stacie said...

Grace, your almost as good as me:-)

Lindsey Shaun Christensen said...

You totally didn't call me back you little huss. Who is this character you are always with, we really need to talk. Oh and you asked me if I am every in SLC, and I am LOTS because of photo shoots. Right now I am just taking a few classes and photographing. So i have time and . . . I know you are dying to see me.